Last night many of us watched the Grammys. We were treated, or not, to some of the hottest performers of this year.
Despite how you feel about the show, and about this year’s performances, you have to give all the performers credit because they did the work, they had to do to get there.
Having the privilege of being on the Grammy’s line up is a real honor. As far as I know, you can’t buy a slot, you have to be invited, which means many of the performers worked last year, in the studio, on tour and in just perfecting their craft. So, what can you and I takeaway from what we saw last night. Here are a few lessons that I took away and will be applying to my own life.
1. Make A Splash. You have to know when and how to make a splash. Despite how you feel about Beyonce and Jay-z’s performance, I can tell you one thing. They sure know how to make an entrance. The Twitter and Facebook feeds were buzzing last night and this morning. Opening up the Grammy’s is not easy, you will either make the front page or you won’t. When your door of opportunity opens up, make sure you know what is required to make an impression, and make sure you are clear about the impression you want to make.
2. Be classy, but most of all be you. Lorde didn’t come out in Beyonce style, but she didn’t need to. That doesn’t fit her character, or her style, and that is fine. There is no reason for you to get an opportunity of a lifetime and waste it by acting like someone other than yourself. You have to know that it is your gifting, and talent that opened the door. And it is that same talent and originality that will keep them interested in what you bring to the table. Show up as you, and don’t worry about what other people say. Be true to yourself.
3. Be daring. Katy Perry and Pink had very different performances, but both were very daring. Katy taking a scene from an opera and Pink almost going Circus De Soleil. Pink came out with a showstopper performance. Captivating the audience with both her style and her amazing aerial performance. Katy on the other hand, took a very creative and artistic approach. Both ladies did something unique and something that most would call daring. In life, you have to be willing to try something new, something that doesn’t fit into the normal realm, and that requires you to stretch yourself. Be willing to step out of your own comfort zone and try something new.
4. Be Great. Stevie Wonder has been around for years, and with the performance that he gave last night, we can see why. When it comes down to it, he is just a great musician, and that is what we love about him. YOU are great at something too, and that is what you should spend at least some of your time doing. Don’t worry about what works for other people, shine and sparkle where you are, with what you have. Stevie does a great job of coming to the stage with what he does best his music. He doesn’t have to get crazy, and he is not twerking (very bad visual here), he sings, and he plays, and that is more than enough. Be willing to walk in your greatness and shine.
5. Have Fun. Draft Punk and Stevie Wonder gave an amazing performance last night, and you know what was clear they had a great time doing it. Not only was the crowd on their feet, but they had a great time, as well. Every day you choose how you will live your life. You can’t control every aspects of your life, but you can decide how you will handle whatever comes your way. Decide to deal with the punches, but be willing to have fun while you do it, and see what happens when you do.
What Was Your Favorite Part and what did you takeaway from them?