When I had my daughter I knew this day would come, I just didn’t expect it to happen so soon. It seems just like yesterday she was in diapers and now it’s prom season, time for us to go prom shopping to look at dresses.
I can vaguely remember searching for my own perfect gown. We went to store after store until I finally found the one. I can still remember it, light green beatiful shaw with a flower. It was breathtaking.
So the question is, how do I give my daughter that same once in a lifetime experince I had on my special day. The other big question is how do we find a dress that we can both agree on when my taste and her taste are so different?
Since I know that The DRESS is such a big part of making her prom special we have got to start looking now. It almost April and her prom will be here before we both know it. That is why I am happy that we are going to get a chance to look at the prom fashions together this Saturday at Macy’s in King of Prussia, PA (they are holding eventss like this all over) so click this link to find out if there is one at a Macy’s near you. The one at King of Prussia, PA starts at 2pm. There are similar events in Boca Rotan, Florida and Pittsburgh, PA on the same day at the same time. You want to check out the event page for more details and you want to let them know you are coming to make sure they can accomodate you and your princess. This whole process of shopping for the right dress and looking at what Macy’s has to offer especially with Sweet Suspense.
If you are in the same boat as me a teen daughter who has prom on her mind and you want to keep you sanity, I can offer up a few tips that have been passed along to me.
1. Attend Macy’s Prom fashion shows if you can, and here is why.
As a parent, it’s great to be able to see what is fashionable, but it also great to be somewhere you can ask questions or even entertain modifications so you and your daughter can get on the same page. I know it’s hard to get a sense for what dresses will actually look like on your daughter, when they are on hangers.
2. Try to find two or three options that both of you can moderately agree on. That way you can meet in the middle. Please know you may both need to do some compromising so be prepared. This alone may help you avoid an argument or two if you have multiple dresses to look at instead of just having her shop on her own and coming up with the dress she has to have and fighting for three weeks, if you don’t see eye to eye.
3. Be open minded. This is her prom not your prom so give her some room to show her own style even if it is very different than yours.
4. Bring reinforcements, you don’t want to have a boat load of her friends with you, but one is good just to have a second pair or eyes. It is also not a bad idea to bring one of your friends for moral support for you, or to challenge you, if you are being just a little to rigid.
5. Keep in mind this is going to be a beautiful day for her and you. When you get to the prom you are nearing the end of an era, your little girl is growing up. Don’t get so involved in the details that you miss the moment.
If you want more information on the Macy’s event click here, I will be posting my favorite looks on Pinterest and on Instagram during the show so take a look and let me know what you like. I may need some social support if we can’t agree on a look we both like.
Disclosure: I am a member of the Everywhere Society and Everywhere has provided compensation for this post about Macy’s Prom. However, all thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own.